Saturday, November 20, 2010

TSA forces cancer survivor to show prosthetic breast

MSNBC (Excerpt) - Marlene McCarthy of Rhode Island said she went through the body scanner and was told by a TSA agent to step aside. In "full view of everyone," McCarthy said in an e-mail, the agent "immediately put the back of her hand on my right side chest and I explained I wore a prosthesis.
"Then, she put her full hands ... one on top and one on the bottom of my 'breast' and moved the prosthesis left, right, up, down and said 'OK.' I was so humiliated.

"I went to the desk area and complained," McCarthy wrote. "The woman there was very nice and I asked her if the training included an understanding of how prosthetics are captured on the scanner and told her the pat-down is embarrassing. She said, 'We have never even had that discussion and I do the training for the TSA employees here, following the standard manual provided.' She said she will bring it up at their next meeting."

If she has to go through the scanner again, McCarthy said, "I am determined to put the prosthesis in the gray bucket," provided to travelers at the security check-ins for items such as jewelry.
"Let the TSA scanners be embarrassed .... not me anymore!" she wrote. [1]
---------
This is just a sample of the incidents taking place since the new pat-down procedures have started.  It is a serious infraction of our right, and I'm not certain where it will lead. To attempt to look at the lighter side of this, I found two hilarious cartoons I'd like to share. The first one expresses my thoughts exactly!


More cartoons